Review: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

by C.S. Lewis



Synopsis:

NARNIA...the land beyond the wardrobe, the secret country known only to Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy...the place where the adventure begins.

Lucy is the first to find the secret of the wardrobe in the professor's mysterious old house. At first, no one believes her when she tells of her adventures in the land of Narnia. But soon Edmund and then Peter and Susan discover the Magic and meet Aslan, the Great Lion, for themselves. In the blink of an eye, their lives are changed forever.






Review:

“If you've been up all night and cried till you have no more tears left in you - you will know that there comes in the end a sort of quietness. You feel as if nothing was ever going to happen again.”

 

This book follows the story of four siblings, Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy who were sent to a distant land to be taken care of by The Professor in his manor after bomb after bomb are being thrown at London. There, they found a magical wardrobe that leads to the magical world of Narnia for which is currently ruled by the White Witch. Peter, Susan, and Edmund didn't really believe in Lucy until they found it themselves. Their adventure started when they found out that Aslan, the rightful king of Narnia, are looking for them and also that their brother, Edmund, is missing.

I first saw the movie when I was in grade school and I remember me, sitting along with my cousins on our sofa, enjoying every bits of it. Having watched the movies first than reading the book didn't give me any issues at all. This book just brings too much nostalgia. The book can be pretty dragging at times, having dead scenes and irrelevant details but I surely enjoyed it, nonetheless. I'm not really sure what or how to feel about this versus the movie since they are very much alike except for the fact that the movie isn't that long. They didn't left too many details and didn't change the plot at all.

I didn't like Edmund all throughout the book (as well as in the movies). He's a conceited young man and doesn't really care what other people, specifically his siblings, would feel. He only wants it all for himself and it serves him right when The Witch eventually showed his purpose to her. My favourite character will always be Susan, Lucy, and Aslan.


“He'll be coming and going" he had said. "One day you'll see him and another you won't. He doesn't like being tied down--and of course he has other countries to attend to. It's quite all right. He'll often drop in. Only you mustn't press him. He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion.”

 

Aslan is a very incredible character. He's the epitome of a great king; sacrificing a lot for his friends, and his people. He had been the strongest character in this book; one that you can definitely not forget. As amazing as this book and Aslan is, there's this one question that I can't seem to find the answer to and that is,  "Why do Aslan need the kids if he basically just did everything himself?"

I really can't say much about this book, it's just absolutely incredible! It took me into this world where I were too distressed that I am a mundane human being. As a kid who used to daydream about magical worlds and creatures, it has given me this wee bit of magic. As a twenty five-year old woman, I've had this pleasant feeling of euphoria in my body as I turn pages after pages. It wasn't really that hard to understand the entire world and enjoy every bit of it. My own words can't describe how astonishing and enthralling this book can be. It taught me a lot of things. One is that you have the courage and strength to face all your fears and that you should never feel dejected because there's hope; things can go bad but there will always be hope. This book shows the value of companionship and friendship. It also taught me that kindness goes a long way and that you should always be kind.

I love the action in this book, and it also has Christian values but it's not too much. C.S. Lewis had written this in a very articulate manner that he didn't actually force his readers in Christianism. A believer or not, you can always read this book. 
The only problem that I've had in this book is that; it took a lot of time for me to figure out how to read it chronologically and somehow, I ended up reading it based on the publication date.


Will I recommend this to other people? Yes, definitely! 


“And so for a time it looked as if all the adventures were coming to an end; but that was not to be.”


Find The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe on Goodreads & Amazon.

Disclaimer: Lits & Brews is an Amazon Affiliate. We may earn a small amount of commission from qualifying purchases.

Post a Comment

Discuss your thoughts here.

Previous Post Next Post