Review: The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

The Princess Diaries
by Meg Cabot

  

Synopsis:

Mia Thermopolis is pretty sure there's nothing worse than being a five-foot-nine, flat-chested freshman, who also happens to be flunking Algebra.


Is she ever in for a surprise.


First mom announces that she's dating Mia's Algebra teacher. Then Dad has to go and reveal that he is the crown prince of Genovia. And guess who still doesn't have a date for the Cultural Diversity Dance?






Review:


In regards to The Princess Diaries the movie, I like it better than the book (this rarely happens!). Why? Because it didn’t frustrate me as much as this one. Let me summarize all the things that I love and hate about this book in this review. Let’s start by the stuff and people that I hate about it which will definitely take up a whole page. I’m going to divide the people that I hate into three parts, ‘The Friends’. ‘The School People’ and ‘The Royals’.

The Friends.  So, let’s start with Lilly. Lilly is a downright narcissist and a b*tch, all wrapped in one. She keeps on controlling Mia and she makes her feel very inferior. She wants Mia’s life to revolve around her and only her and that she /must/ know everything that Mia is doing. She puts herself first (not in a good way) and doesn’t care at all how much it would hurt other people. She only does stuff that is pretty much beneficial for here. I kind of like Lilly in the movies better than the Book-Lilly.

The School People. There are a lot of things that I hate about these people, and let me start with Lana Weinberger. She is definitely a Regina Geroge-in-training. An airhead who only cares about fame and boys and who’s got nothing better to do than bully her schoolmates. She makes Mia feel insecure especially when she had her “Princess Makeover”. I really hate people like Lana. They’re just way too full of themselves. Then onto Josh Ritcher who used Mia for 5 minutes of fame. I hate it when people use other people for a short time- fame. I don’t get what they gain from it. And Principal Gupta? She doesn’t even care about Mia until she was reported to be the Princess of Genovia.


Then here comes the Royals; Grandmere and Dad. Let’s start with Grandmere who is in all ways not a good example to Mia. She smokes and drinks a lot, even during the day! She bosses people around and is basically a b*tch to Mia. She likes to put her nose into everything and likes to basically be involved in every situation there is. She is technically just a ‘Princess stuff’ teacher to Mia and not an actual grandma. I like the movie grandma, played by the iconic Julie Andrews, more. The movie grandma is more of how most of the grandmas are in the real world; caring, understanding, fun, and most importantly, a very good example to their grandchildren. Now, about Dad. Book-Dad is a self-centered, annoying, and agonizingly frustrating testicular cancer survivor. He likes to please his mother and be around sleeping with other women more than to think of what Mia would feel and what is good for her. Even if she (Mia) is his only heir since he’s already out of yolks and can’t produce more heirs, he doesn’t really care about her that much in this book. He doesn’t even give her the guidance she needs. And as usual, I liked the movie version of Dad more because even though he’s already dead, he didn’t forget to put Mia’s feelings first and guided her through his diary that he passed on to her. 

And for the stuff that I don’t like in the book in general is the constant body, appearance and face-shaming. I do get it that Mia’s just explaining what Lilly looks like. But c’mon, Pug-face? Meg Cabot, you can do better than that. I also hate that the movie is better than the book. Period.

For the stuff I love, let’s start with Mia. Mia lights up the room. I love her sense of humour and she is funny, sweet, and takes good care of her Mum and Fat Louie. She can be pretty judgmental, and infuriating at times but she’s a kid. I don’t expect her to be matured enough to handle the things that’s being thrown to her especially when you wake up one-day learning that you’re the only heir to the throne of a country.  She’s a typical high school girl who daydreams over hot boys and believes whatever they say and who works hard to be accepted in the society. But all in all, I think her character can improve more. Then there’s Michael, I like both Michaels (book & movie) though they have different personalities. Michael is your boy-next-door kid who is smart, hot, and is definitely your best friend’s brother.

If I were Mia, I would definitely run away even though I’m a princess. Imagine, every people in your life (well except for, Mum) wants to command you to do this and that.

So to recap, I’ve got mixed feelings with this book. I can say it’s a ‘so-so’ for me but I definitely enjoyed the ride. Story wise, it’s okay. The story in the book is way more intense and way more hilarious given that it is something written for middle-grades or teens. It is also way too different compared to the movie. In the movie there is no Tina Hakim Baba who is definitely one of my favourite characters and the book takes place in New York. I gave this book 4.5 stars just because I feel like there could be more to it and that it sometimes gets boring. I read this after a having a year-long reading slump so maybe it’s just the post-slump feeling. 

Am I going to re-read this book? Probably not. I don’t feel like it’s thrilling enough for me to get back to it. Well maybe if my future daughter wants me to read this to her, of course I would but I will definitely not include those part that I think is not okay.

Am I going to recommend this book? It depends on the reader. If I’m talking to a middle-grade or coming-of-age kid, I would.

Find The Princess Diaries on Goodreads & Amazon.

Disclaimer: Lits & Brews is an Amazon Affiliate. We may earn a small amount of commission from qualifying purchases.

 


Post a Comment

Discuss your thoughts here.

Previous Post Next Post